Tuesday 12 March 2013

Article (updated)


Article:
Indie rock and roll sensation Julian Clarke has been terrorising charts all around the world with his hit single ‘Easy Does It’, which has been number one in 12 different countries. After breaking onto the scene 18 months ago with his debut album ‘My Life’, he has played countless festivals and is currently on a world tour that has received five star reviews from countless magazines and websites. He has been hailed as, ‘The new king of indie’, by Justin Young of the Vaccines and Noel Gallagher has also praised him heavily, saying, ‘he is bringing a fresh new sound to the charts and British music in general’. Dill Wakeford spoke to Julian the day after his biggest headline show of his career yet, a sold out night at London’s O2 arena where he played to a crowd of 20,000 strong.

DW: Morning Julian, how are you today?

JC: Hi mate, yeah not too bad thanks, bit rough after the show last night, but that’s what it’s all about!

DW: How did the show go? Did you enjoy it?

JC: I always enjoy my gigs, there’s nothing I’d rather be doing music is my life. It doesn’t matter where I’m playing, a small club in a backstreet somewhere or the O2 I always get a rush out of it, it’s like drugs for my, just a massive natural high. But yeah the show was pretty amazing; it was special because it was the biggest gig of my own that I’ve played yet. Me and the band played really well together as we always do and the crowd was brilliant, home crowds are always the best, I’ve been all around the world with my music and trust me, the UK has the best crowds that I’ve played for.

DW: The album was a massive success here and all over the world, everyone loved it, Noel Gallagher was quoted saying that it was the best album he had heard for at least the last 6 years, what does it mean to you when you hear things like that from such a big artist?
JC: ah mate, it means so much, I mean to hear that from Noel, it just means the world to me. He is a massive influence of mine as he is to a lot of young artists, but to hear that from someone who has had countless hit records is just amazing, even just to know he’s heard my name makes me feel really good.

DW: The fans have been getting in touch with us saying they want to know when the new album is going to come out. Have you started writing it or have any idea when it will be hitting the shelves?

JC: Yeah I’ve started writing it, got about five tunes that I think will be on it. At the moment I’m concentrating on doing this world tour, we’ve got the North American leg of it to go yet and the end of the British tour, but that is all going to be finished around June time. After the tour I’m having a month out to write the final bits for the album and then I’m going over to the states to record in some studios in LA, so I’m hoping that the album will be out in March/April of next year.

DW: Do you feel that there’s any pressure on you to write another really good record because of the massive success of your debut album?
JC: Yeah I do think there is quite a bit of pressure on me because of the success of the first record but I think that I can produce another quality record for my fans because I believe that I can do it and make it as good if not better than my first album.  
DW: I know that you’ve been around on the scene for the best part of two years now but how have you found adapting to the fame and being recognised around and about?

JC: At first it was pretty strange, people would come up to you when you’re trying to do your shopping or going out for a meal and ask for autographs and pictures, but after about a year it’s subsided and I don’t get asked as much as I used to anymore. In general I’ve enjoyed the whole transaction to being famous, I mean I’m the same guy as before except now I’ve had a number one single in a dozen countries and I’ve got a sh*t load of money in the bank, I think it’s safe to say I prefer this life from the one where I was painting people’s houses to pay the rent.

DW: Last year you played on the main stage at the Reading and Leeds festival and you’ve been confirmed to play Glastonbury festival this year amongst others. Is the festival circuit something you enjoy doing?

JC: I love festivals man, I used to go to Leeds festival quite a lot because that’s where I’m from and I’ve been to Glastonbury a couple of times. Playing festivals is always a good laugh, everyone there is just wants to have a good time and I seem to get a good reception wherever I go. I like being out in the open and feeling the breeze on your face when you’re playing; it’s something different that you don’t get to experience when you’re playing clubs and arenas. It’s quite refreshing in a way.

DW: Well Julian it’s been a pleasure talking to you and I hope you come back and see us again one day. Good luck with the rest of the tour and I hope the writing of the next album goes well for you.

JC: Thanks a lot mate, see you soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment